Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Confession of Silence

Karen B. is one of the many workers in vineyard of Anglican renewal. A missionary in Africa, Karen also helps run a wonderful prayer blog called Lent and Beyond.

It seems that that Karen grew up in our Diocese, and attended St. Peter's Church in Essex Fells. Yet even this valiant lady felt silenced while she lived here. She writes today, in a post at Stand Firm:
.
Blakeney is SO right about the tendency towards silence in Newark. If I’d stayed there, I’m quite convinced I would have left without making waves or taking a very visible stand. When in Newark, I did at one point write my rector with some concerns, and I seem to also recall writing a letter to the editor of the Voice following Spong’s publication of his 12 theses. (But the letter wasn’t published...)